Tuesday, August 26, 2008

There Still Ain't No Cane On The Brazos.

O.K. - one more and I'll stop with the YouTube stuff. At least for a while. I just had to throw this version out for comparison. The iconic version for my generation was performed by the Band at Woodstock in 1969, and you'll hear it as well in the Dylan Basement Tapes, and see it on some early set lists. I hear the echoes of "No Cane On The Brazos" every time I hear "Tears Of Rage".

This lively take on it is by the New York quintet, Ollabelle, with Jason Crigler on guitar. It is very much the Bands arrangement - you can hear the echoes of Richard Manuel and Levon Helm with nearly every line. A great tribute, to be sure.

The faithful, the diligent, the near insane are already camping inside the stockyards of the Winfield Fairground. Somehow, this song is for them.

No comments: